Reasons to Attend
1) Meet your student's friends and their families.
2) Get to know the university — including a tour of the football stadium!
3) Become part of your student's college experience.
4) Get paid for telling stories as a family.
This is a wonderful opportunity to see your student once they have gone off to college. Your student will have been at the university long enough to tell you how things are going, what classes are like, and update you on new friends. During the weekend, you'll have an opportunity to catch up, participate in fun activities, meet other Husker families and create memories together.
All family members can attend the weekend. However, please note that there is a lot of walking. In case you have a very small child or someone who may need assistance with walking, you may find a stroller or wheelchair to be helpful.
Activities are free of charge unless otherwise noted.
Hotel room blocks have been arranged at local hotels near the Lincoln airport, in the Haymarket as well as in Downtown Lincoln (all near campus). To access the special Family Weekend rates, you must register to participate in Family Weekend. There is no registration fee. Your registration confirmation email will provide you with hotel information and links to reserve rooms. Please note that hotel rooms must be booked prior to August 30 at 5 p.m. to secure discounted University rates. Hotel room availability is not guaranteed, so please reserve your room early.
WILL YOUR FAMILY BE HERE FOR PARENT’S WEEKEND OR HOMECOMING?
SIGN UP AND GET $75 FOR TELLING STORIES AS A FAMILY!
My name is Jody Koenig Kellas and my colleague, Toni Morgan, and I are conducting a research study on family storytelling through the University of Nebraska-Lincoln Department of Communication Studies. The purpose of the study is to better understand the content and process of family storytelling in order to better understand how families connect, create a sense of family identity, socialize one another, and make sense of life through the practices of family storytelling. To participate, you must:
- Be 14 years or older (parents must participate with and provide parental consent for family members under 19 years of age).
- Be a member of a family (no fewer than three members, no more than eight members) who is willing to (a) complete questionnaires about you and your family, and (b) find a common time to gather (at your home or at UNL’s social interaction lab) to write about and tell family stories.
Participation should take about two hours total (30 minutes for survey completion and 90 minutes for the storytelling session).
If you would like to participate, please email me at email@example.com to receive information about the study and to sign up for a time to participate. Each family will be paid $75 for its participation and receive a copy of the video recording of the family storytelling session as a keepsake.