Parent FAQ

If you don’t see an answer to your question, please reach out. Contact Student Affairs at, call 402-472-3755 or join us on Facebook to ask a community of parents.


Frequently Asked Questions about Academics

Remember that professors are a great resource, too. Students should reach out to ask instructors for recommendations on where they can get additional help understanding coursework.

What is the difference between dropping a course and withdrawing from a course?
Dropped courses may be eligible for a tuition refund depending on the timing of when the student drops the course in MyRED. Later in the semester, students may choose to withdraw from a course.

What should students do if they are unable to attend classes?
Students are expected to attend all lectures, recitations, quizzes, and laboratories regularly. If a student plans to be absent, they should request permission for the absence from the instructor as early in the semester as possible and discuss how this absence may affect their ability to meet the course requirements.

In situations involving medical emergencies, personal tragedy or mental health crises, Student Affairs may provide an absence courtesy notification to instructors.

How often should students meet with an advisor?
Students should meet with an advisor at least once per year, preferably once per semester to discuss course selections and make sure they are on track to graduate. Students can schedule a meeting through My PLAN from the portal. View advising resources.

How can I access my student’s records?
Due to the FERPA, the federal law that protects students’ privacy, the university is limited in what information it may share with parents. Students may give parents access to some information via MyRed.

Please note that grades for students do not typically appear in MyRed until after the semester is complete. Students should keep track of their grades as the semester progresses.

Where can I find the academic calendar (listing the student holidays and final exam schedules)?
The academic calendar is available from the Office of the University Registrar.


Frequently Asked Questions about Billing

When are tuition bills available? Due?
Students can set up access for parents or guests to view the bill through MyRed. Bills are generated on or before the 25th of the month and are due by the 12th of the following month. View the Student Account FAQ.

How can I pay my student’s bill?
View payment options.

How can I obtain enrollment verifications for students for insurance purposes?
Upon request, the Office of the University Registrar will provide degree and enrollment verifications to current students and alumni. Parents must have been granted access for a parent to receive the information.

Can my student become a Nebraska resident for tuition purposes?
View the Residency Policy.

Are 1098-T forms mailed out or do they need to be printed out for taxes?
View information about the Form 1098-T.

Living On-Campus

Frequently Asked Questions about Living On-Campus

How do I send a package to my student in the residence halls?
Packages should be addressed to your student with a room number and complete address.

How can my student get to/from Lincoln?
While the university does not endorse any particular transportation services, these are the most popular options for students to travel between Lincoln and Omaha.

    • N-E Ride
      Free bus services between Lincoln (Othmer Hall on City Campus) and Omaha (Peter Kiewit Institute on Scott Campus, UNMC and I-80 Exit 439) available weekdays while classes are in session. The bus will get students to Omaha, but they will need to make arrangements to get to the airport or other destination. Space is not guaranteed and seating is on a first-come, first-served basis with preference given to engineering students.
    • OmaLink
      Shuttle services for Nebraska and Western Iowa for airline passengers to travel from convenient central locations to/from Lincoln and Omaha airports. Reservations required at least 24 hours in advance. Cost varies.
    • Leisure Limousine & Sedan
      Transportation to/from Lincoln and Omaha airports. Reservations required. Cost varies. Promo codes may be available to students upon request at 402-476-8132.
    • Uber & Lyft
      Rideshare services are readily available in the Lincoln area. Cost varies.

Which residence halls are open during breaks?
All halls will be open during university breaks. To review the move in and move out dates, review the Housing contract.

Is there a medical facility or clinic available for students who get sick?
The University Health Center, managed by Nebraska Medicine, offers comprehensive care for students in a convenient on-campus location.

Staying Informed

Frequently Asked Questions about Staying Informed

How can parents be involved and/or stay informed?
All parents of currently enrolled students at the university are automatically members of the UNL Parents Association. Members are encouraged to attend association meetings, sign up for the e-newsletter, and join us on Facebook. If you have questions, please contact Tonda Humphress at or call 402-472-3756.

When is UNL Family Weekend?
Family Weekend is held each fall during a weekend when there is an away football game.


Frequently Asked Questions about Graduation

Is there a limit to the number of tickets/attendees for graduation?
No, tickets are not required for the ceremony.

Where can I find more information on graduation?
Date, time, location, parking information, how and where to purchase the cap and gown, and diploma pickup information is available at